In late November 2023 the NSW Government passed new legislation to better manage carbon emissions into the future. MDEG looks forward to more effective action on climate change
More information here.
The Act legislates:
- guiding principles for action to address climate change that consider the impacts, opportunities and need for action in NSW
- emissions reduction targets for NSW:
- 50% reduction on 2005 levels by 2030
- 70% reduction on 2005 levels by 2035
- Net zero by 2050.
- an objective for NSW to be more resilient to a changing climate
- establishing an independent, expert Net Zero Commission to monitor, review, report on and advise on progress towards these targets.
Next steps include:
- establishing the independent Net Zero Commission in the first half of 2024
- beginning the consultation process on regulations under the Act in early 2024, including considering effective policy levers and a whole-of-government approach to meet our targets.